Monday 5 August 2013

Soda Factory

I actually went to the Soda Factory a couple of weeks ago now, but today being a Tuesday today and seeing gold coins in my wallet is taking my mind back to the dollar dogs that we demolished that night.

Easily located in Surry Hills, you can't miss this place by it's shopfront. So bright and colourful compared to it's surroundings you're automatically intrigued to find out what is behind the door.



Walking in, it's actually nothing like I expected it to be. I was thinking I was about to set foot into a retro American diner style setup. But instead, I found a big low lit room, with a mix of furniture and just a bar in the middle.
We got their just before 6pm so managed to score the last table! 

While Boyfriend and I were waiting for our friends, we sat back, tapped our feet to the classic rock and roll tunes they had cranking, ordered ourselves a beer and started at the hard task of trying to decide which of the four hotdogs we were going to try.

On the night, they had on the menu:
- The Texas Redneck (Classic bratwurst sausage, smoked chilli, cheese, Texas BBQ sauce)
- The Buffalo Bill Chicken Dog (Battered chicken sausage, buffalo chicken sauce, cheese)
- The Frank Sinatra (Classic beef and pork frankfurter, American mustard, pickles, onion rings)
- Bobby's Bogan Dog (Lamb sausage, Dijon mustard, smashed peas, feta cheese)

In a short while our friends rocked up and ten minutes after that we were all struggling with deciding on which hotdog to try. It was then that one of us pointed out that seeing as they're only $1 each, we could all probably order one of each or all of us if we really wanted to... Duh!
So after putting in a giant order of hotdogs and one side of chilli cheese fries (just to mix things up a bit) we ended up with this...
Much to my disappointment I was only able to down two hotdogs. The Redneck and Bogan. YUM!! 
I'm still in the process of developing my palette and tolerance for chilli  So even though I loved every bite of the Smokey hot flavour of the redneck, I struggled a little with the after burn.

Half a beer later I was able to start on the Bogan. Smashed peas and feta, what a combo!! Amaze!
This was by far my favourite!

Looking around the table, everyone with mouthfuls of food could only nod to each other with big smiles on their faces and cheeks looking like they were about to pop!

My girlfriend is adamant that the chicken dog is hands down the best! She compares it to a chicken burger but in a hotdog body. Another friend wants more of the Sinatra!

With stomachs full, we decide to head home. Just as we were leaving a guy comes on with a guitar. Would have enjoyed listening to some live tunes, but living out west, we had a bit of a trek to get home.

These hotdogs go for $10 any other day of the week, so I think this could easily become a weekly Tuesday dinner stop without breaking the bank!!

No comments:

Post a Comment