Monday 12 August 2013

Crane Bar

Seeing as I'm blogging Japanese and Groupons, I thought I'd do a post on my night at Crane Bar a few weeks back. This was another of our Groupon deals that Boyfriend and I had bought. 

A couple days after we'd bought the Groupon, I received a review in one of my weekly newsletters which was raving about the place. After reading up on it a bit more, we were pretty eager to try it out. 


We went from work on a Friday night, our table was booked for 6:30pm. When we got there, it was pretty quiet but it didn't take too long before the place started to fill up. We were seated at the front of the restaurant, in a cute little dining area called The Lawn. The room had large windows facing the street and lawn look flooring. The lighting throughout the bar was quite dark. There's just a candle on each table, so you could just about see what was on your plate and not much else. 

Our night started off with a Strawberry Sakerinha each (didn't get a pic of this, soz), made up of sake, strawberry and fresh lime. These were lovely, and fresh. Perfect first drink to kick off a Friday night. 
 The first dish followed not long after. Actually, all the food came out quite quickly. There seemed to be a lot of people there on Groupons so I'm thinking a lot of it was all pre-made ready to go. 

So, for first course we were served Scallops Ponzu. I have to say, this wasn't my favourite dish of the night. It's just my personal taste, but I'm not that big of a fan of cold raw scallops. Boyfriend seemed to enjoy it though, so yeah, I think it's just down to personal taste. 


Quickly to follow was second course, a plate of sashimi (didn't get a very good pic in the dark). This was nice and fresh, not so different from your usual sashimi. Much more enjoyable for me than the scallops. 

Before we had finished the sashimi, a little steamer basket with some lovely fresh looking pork gyoza arrived at our table. These were delicious, the only thing I might say is they might have needed just a minute more or so to cook. The edges were a bit doughier than the rest.

Kangaroo Tataki was next. This was really nice and light. Found that it went just a little too quickly though, maybe just one more piece each would have been good. 

Fifth stop on the menu was the chicken karaage. These were a nice crispy change up from the previous courses. Fried to perfection with a delicious wasabi mayonnaise on the side.


Next two dishes soon to follow were the Moreton bay bug with a miso emulsion sauce and the grilled ocean trout. The bugs were one of my favourites of the night, they were cooked beautifully and the sauce they were covered in was deliciously creamy. 
The ocean trout was soft and easily flaked apart. 

Eighth dish of the night was the truffle honey duck. I think this was my favourite of the night. The duck was so tender and soaked in sauce. Boyfriend isn't a big fan of honey, so more for me! The sauce was the perfect amount of sweet without being too rich. The addition of some fresh orange slices also balanced it out really well.

Last savoury course to come out before dessert was the spicy tuna roll. The flavour was really good had the right balance of spicy. Not that if affects the flavour but the construction of the sushi rolls was a little messy. 


Last but not least, dessert... Mmmm, green tea panacotta with mixed berries. The panacotta was beautifully smooth, set to the right consistency with the perfect amount of green tea flavour the whole way through. Was the perfect dish to finish off. 

Though when we left, we weren't hungry by any means, I think the serving sizes could have been a bit bigger. Other than that, it was a great night with some great food. I definitely wouldn't mind getting back here after work one night for a couple more of those strawberry sakerinhas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment